Welcome to the official blog of the Student-Athlete Mental Health Initiative. Like a huddle, this is the place where we put our heads and our hearts together in preparation for the challenges ahead. SAMHI is a not-for-profit organization that advocates and supports the mental wellbeing of student athletes. Find out how your contribution can make a difference in the health and performance of student-athletes across Canada.
Supporting the mental health of student-athletes to help them flourish in and out of competition, across all life domains.
As a champion for student-athlete mental health, SAMHI’s mission is to reduce mental illness stigma in sport, facilitate access to the resources needed to maintain and improve mental health, and advocate on behalf of student-athletes experiencing mental illness.
1. Adopt a student-athlete centered approach.
2. Reduce harmful mental illness stigma in sport through communication campaigns and media work.
3. Connect student-athletes to the tools and resources needed to support mental health.
4. Develop mental health training resources for coaches and support staff.
5. Work with governing and administrative bodies in Canadian sport to address policy and service gaps.
6. Collaborate with Canadian post-secondary institutions to establish SAMHI as a leading mental health resource for student athletes.
The voice of student-athletes with mental illness
Knowledge to action